[OSGeo-Discuss] server down?

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 07:33:25 PDT 2010

On Jul 22, 2010, at 9:17 AM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:

> - (sorry if I'm rude, but) are we sure we can't do better to manage a vital
> infrastructure? More than 10 days on a backup server does not sound very good to me;
> weren't the blades new?

The support of OSGeo's system infrastructure is a volunteer affair.  If it is not up, or not up to your standards, it is because you haven't volunteered to help fix it :)  We can do better with your help.

The blades are rather old (early 2006'ish) machines that are equivalent to laptops of that time in terms of memory, processor speed, and harddrive.  I find it impressive we made it this far on them without significantly improving the hardware or updating the system software, while continually heaping more and more tasks on them.  The compromise, while a PITA, is an excellent opportunity to improve our capabilities, even though it is taking a bit of time to complete the job.