[OSGeo-Discuss] How OSGeo helps you?

miblon moblin at dogodigi.net
Tue Mar 9 12:34:16 EST 2010

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm working on responding to some questions relating to our 501c3
> application with US govt and would really like your opinion, stories,
> examples to make sure I hit the nail on the head.
>
> I'd like to describe two aspects of what OSGeo does and how it helps the
> public.  In particular relating to education and to charitable
> activities.  I know how I'd answer, but what about you?
>
> 1. In what areas/topics/information do we teach to new users or educate
> the public in general?  Basically, what is the 'content' of our
> education endeavours?

It is funny, but in my opinion most teaching is done without clear
presence. I learned a lot from OSGeo, most things are simple rules of
"engagement"

OSGeo teaches people to:
- Approach each other with respect. No matter where you come from or how
you communicate with the OSGeo community, responses are always polite,
good and to the point, helpfull and pointing you in the right direction.
By communicating in such a way, I notice new users automatically follow
these unwritten guidelines and act in the same way.
- Standardize programming methods
- Be open to other (sometimes controversial) perspectives. Discuss but
do not judge.
- Be open!

Following OGC (Open GIS consortium) Standards has always been of great
importance to the OSGeo projects. It is my personal opinion that this is
encouraged by the OSGeo foundation and in a lot of ways better
standarized then with commercial vendors. We are all watching and
guarding interoperability.
> 2. How does OSGeo provide a charitable benefit to the public?  Don't
> link it directly back to education, but think about how our features,
> abilities and products get used to benefit the public.  Take it beyond
> just having free access to software generally, and share in particular
> the charitable ways it helps the public (charitable as in helps people,
> the world, etc. not as in just being free).

Directly? Not that much. Indirect through it's projects? Substantial!
OSGeo projects:
- Open up Geodata to a larger public
- Integrate Geodata across borders
- Provide alternatives! We all have a choice
- Give people the tools to communicate almost anything with others
through maps