[OSGeo-Discuss] How OSGeo helps you?

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Thu Mar 18 13:58:36 EDT 2010

It looks like I am getting to this late. Maybe too late to help.

Question 1:
In what areas/topics/information do we teach to new users or educate the
public in general?  Basically, what is the 'content' of our education
endeavours?

Answer:
- How to install and use open source geospatial applications.
- How to use open source geospatial information to solve real world
problems.
- How to use open source software to present spatial information to
others via digital maps, hard copy maps, web maps, and web applications.
- How to use open source software to create and build high-quality
spatial data sets that can be used to solve real world problems.
- Education effort includes publication of an open content technical
journal focused on geospatial technology and hosting of an annual
conference.

Question 2:
How does OSGeo provide a charitable benefit to the public?  Don't link
it directly back to education, but think about how our features,
abilities and products get used to benefit the public.  Take it beyond
just having free access to software generally, and share in particular
the charitable ways it helps the public (charitable as in helps people,
the world, etc. not as in just being free).

Answer:
- Brings together local geospatial experts (mappers and programmers) in
local chapters to coordinate the application of computer science and
geospatial technology to local and regional problems.
- Encourages global coordination on important technology issues,
including software licensing, data licensing, free speech, and privacy
concerns as they relate to geospatial technology.
- Promotes the benefits of the application of open source geospatial
software. These benefits include financial savings, improved efficiency,
better decision making, and wider access to information for both
governments and companies.

Landon
Office Phone Number: (209) 946-0268
Cell Phone Number: (209) 992-0658

I'm working on responding to some questions relating to our 501c3
application with US govt and would really like your opinion, stories,
examples to make sure I hit the nail on the head.

I'd like to describe two aspects of what OSGeo does and how it helps the
public.  In particular relating to education and to charitable
activities.  I know how I'd answer, but what about you?

1. In what areas/topics/information do we teach to new users or educate
the public in general?  Basically, what is the 'content' of our
education endeavours?

2. How does OSGeo provide a charitable benefit to the public?  Don't
link it directly back to education, but think about how our features,
abilities and products get used to benefit the public.  Take it beyond
just having free access to software generally, and share in particular
the charitable ways it helps the public (charitable as in helps people,
the world, etc. not as in just being free).

Yes, somewhat vague questions, but I really want them to know the
details about these not just a cursory mention of our workshops and our
no-cost software :)

I only have a day or two to get my answers together, but a longer thread
is also welcomed to help share your perspective.

Take care,
Tyler