[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: Whitebox GAT (Chris Puttick)

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 10:29:08 EDT 2010

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 9:18 AM, John Lindsay <jlindsay at uoguelph.ca> wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> Thank you for your feedback. I think, however, you might be staring a gift
> horse in the mouth. I write software primarily because I need it and am
> happy to share it with others. For me, open-source is about sharing ideas,
> innovating, and improving education. I'm fortunate that I don't need to rely
> on my programming to make money. Like most computer users, I use Windows and
> .NET is the framework that we have. It's an excellent framework, despite
> what some may think of the company that developed it. I understand that many
> people chose other operating systems (and good for them!) but I'm also aware
> that the Mono framework allows for the possibility of running Whitebox GAT
> on Linux/Mac. There are currently people working on porting Whitebox over
> using Mono. I suspect, however, that there are some out there who would
> still not be pleased with the use of Mono as a framework. The fact of the
> matter is that not everybody will be happy all of the time. If this isn't
> the solution that suits you, I'm sure there are others that are more suited.
> And that's fine by me. It's just nice that people out there are working hard
> every day to ensure that you have choices, isn't it?

As a very happy Mac user of a gorgeous proprietary interface on top of
an open source operating system, I say to you, "Very well said."
Thanks for creating this and working on this. Even though I won't use
it (right away) I am sure many will benefit from Whitebox GAT, and
others will borrow good ideas from it. Benefit all around.

Keep up the great work.

Puneet Kishor http://www.punkish.org
Carbon Model http://carbonmodel.org