[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: Whitebox GAT (Chris Puttick)

Brian Russo brian at beruna.org
Fri Mar 26 15:28:33 EDT 2010

It wasn't directed at you Chris, nor specifically at anyone.

I just think the general tone of this conversation is pretty
unproductive. Sure people have reasons about "being" strategic"
everything but maybe it's just how I'm reading it but I just see the
old, familiar tones of the "Free Software Movement" which is "do it my
way (100% free) or the highway". I don't think that helps anyone..

It's all well and good if you're in a small organisation with 300 pcs
or whatever like Chris P and you have that sort of latitude.. but
people forget that most organisations aren't driven by cost or
ideology - they're driven by business value. Openness is no different
than being Green/Sustainable. It has to make good business sense in
order to be the right decision. I can't go to my bosses and say "we
have to do this because it's open source". They won't care and I don't
blame them.

 - bri

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 8:19 AM, Christopher Schmidt
<crschmidt at crschmidt.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 08:06:59AM -1000, Brian Russo wrote:
>> The latent arrogance displayed in this thread is more destructive than
>> any software license.
>
> I'm not trying to be arrogant, I'm sorry if it came off that way. I really
> just think it's important to realize that "Not every programmer programs
> like I do". There are many different, effective ways, and tools that can
> be used to write code; writing them off for yourself is fine, but trying
> to control the decisions someone else makes is ill-advised and potentially
> harmful.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Christopher Schmidt