[OSGeo-Discuss] Open Source Viewer for 3D Maps

Christian Willmes c.willmes at uni-koeln.de
Tue Mar 30 03:46:05 EDT 2010

Hi Landon,

If you "just" want to share a visualization of some 3D model you maybe
can go with 3D-PDF (see example [1]). There is an opensource toolchain
using meshlab [2] and LaTEX to compile those 3D PDFs from 3D models
(from all formats which you can load into meshlab).

If you want to share 3D geometries, there is for example KML and
GML/CityGML as a format for more complex models. For those model you
need a "viewer" or some sort of client which procecsses the information
suitable for you, there are several out there for KML you would most
probably choose Google Earth for viewing. For CityGML, ok here it is
expensive or not that easy with OS or free software (for now), so it is
not suitable for just showing some people who are not familar with that
kind of technology, but in CityGML there are some OS applications out
there (for example the deegree framework[3]) you can store all kind of
information, which you can't with KML... So, you have to know what you
want to do/provide with/from the data...

There are also more sophisticated possibilities to share 3D GISdata over
the web. One of those possibilities would be for example the open
standards based technology of GDI3D [4].

best regards,
Christian

[1]
http://www.epromod.de/images/stories/-bilder-/showroom/3d-pdf/hohe-munde-3d.pdf