[OSGeo-Discuss] Open Source Viewer for 3D Maps

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Tue Mar 30 10:36:40 EDT 2010

Landon,

   We've used VTP (vterrain.org) and modified the GUI of it's Enviro viewer to
be a little more end-user friendly.  VTP does a good job of providing an
interactive 3d environment of DEM and texture (e.g  satellite image), and
optionally 3d structure models.  On the downside, you have to author your
datasets carefully (using VTBuilder) to get good performance, and you have to
limit your map/model to an extent (it doesn't model a globe, only a projection).
  There's a ton of 3d modeling info on the VTP web site.

   Ossim (www.ossim.org) has OssimPlanet which DOES model a globe but it can be
an effort to set up (I've never tried it).

   While we've seen some interest in 3D mapping environments, one difficulty is
ease of use from the end user's perspective.  They're OK with rendered 3d
perspective images, and they LIKE "fly-thru" movies of terrain.  But they LOVE
interactive 3d environments, as long as they navigate with ease (and this can be
a big problem).

   They mainly care about the terrain (dem+image) and overlaying map data like
points, lines, and polygons (with styling and annotation).  While we've shown
demos of including 3d structures models (buildings), it hasn't generated much
interest.  But then we talk to mapping depts, not engineering/construction.

Best Regards,
Brent Fraser
GeoAnalytic Inc.