[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: Whitebox GAT (Chris Puttick)

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 09:18:24 PDT 2010

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 11:03 AM, Chris Puttick
<chris.puttick at thehumanjourney.net> wrote:
> Please understand I am in no way criticising your software, which sounds of interest although out of reach for me. I am also highly appreciative of the work you and others like you put into developing solutions which you then share with others and I do what I can to contribute too. I am just hoping to persuade you and others that .net has far more bad points than good and to consider using a different software development framework/tools in the future.
>
> I find it sensible to stare warily at gift-horses associated with companies whose primary stated purpose is the maximisation of shareholder value. Paid-for software of the "license to use" variety is a legacy concept fighting hard for survival; those companies whose entire business model is paid-for software are seeking all sorts of methods to ensure they can continue to profit from those business models.

You make that assertion based on what evidence? Any citations?
Slideshow presentations and keynote addresses at conferences don't
count.

Surely the fact that a bunch of us open source aficionados have a
number of projects we work on and talk about does not an evidence make
that paid-for software is fighting hard for survival. Let me see... 26
million copies of Mac OS X, 45 million copies of iPhone OS... and that
is only single digit percentage of worldwide operating system share,
more than 90%+ of which is Windows -- a "legacy software fighting hard
for survival"? I think not.

Listen, I personally appreciate the zeal for open sourcing software
and data (most of my personal religion is based on the belief that
open data are better for everyone), but trash talking closed software
makes the whole world blind.

My personal belief is that the most powerful programming language in
the world is the one you know. The Whitehouse GAT developers happen to
be versed in .NET. Let us appreciate what they are doing, and learn
from it... as I said earlier, good ideas cross-pollinate, so it can
only be good for the entire software ecosystem.

Puneet Kishor http://www.punkish.org
Carbon Model http://carbonmodel.org