[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: Whitebox GAT (Chris Puttick)

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 09:53:36 PDT 2010

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 11:39 AM, Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo)
<tmitchell at osgeo.org> wrote:
> P Kishor wrote:
>> Listen, I personally appreciate the zeal for open sourcing software
>> and data (most of my personal religion is based on the belief that
>> open data are better for everyone), but trash talking closed software
>> makes the whole world blind.
>
> Of course we never trash talk other open source languages either, do we?
>  Where would we be without all the good arguments for Python vs the
> 'others'... ;-)  Sorry, couldn't resist.
>
> Just to say, we have done pretty good on this list avoiding platform or
> language wars, but I am interested to learn what
> strengths/features/ease-of-use others find in their language of choice.
>   Just to be better educated, not to flame anyone.

It will lead to religious wars inevitably... weaknesses and strengths
of language are probably better discussed on specific language forums.
Probably other forums are appropriate, but OSGeo-discuss is too
generic for it, imo.

That said, I am finding Python advocates increasingly insufferable;
their wonder at "look at this wonderful thing I discovered I can do"
bores me to tears, and their enthusiasm for white space in code that
    actually
  means something
              is just
bewildering.

;-)

--
just another hacker of a language whose name begins with P