[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: Whitebox GAT (Chris Puttick)

G. Allegri giohappy at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 07:49:44 PDT 2010

Very nice thread. This topic once a while comes back on our screens.
My two cents.
After various years of talks with OS and purists and not, software farms,
university departments, etc. from back to white visions, passing through
grey, I've pacified with my questions about where is the "truth": it is
where a solution that solves your needs is. All the rest is personal
preference or, worst, hideology.
The need can go from a personal scale to a global one, requiring different
approaches if we're talking about a self-employed practitioner, a local
administration, a multinational farm, or FAO. Forgive me but I think this
discussions are non-sense, because, using the first topic,  the is no
absolute metric to say .NET is worst then Java,C++,or whatelse.
In these days I suggested a customer to use ArcGIS Server for their needs.
The day before I was configuring Postgresql and Geoserver for another one.

Last line. When I discover new softwares being shared I really don't care
very much what technology they used to make, I just wonder if it brings new
ideas, solutions, etc. that can help our needs. Recently I've set up an
algorithm in Python, taking ideas from three different softwares: one was
written in C#, one in C++, and one in Java. They were quite different, but
each one brought complementary ideas that helped me to solve my problem.
This is what I like from software sharing.

giovanni