[OSGeo-Discuss] open source desktop shootout

Miller, Craig craig.miller at spatialminds.com
Wed Mar 31 22:14:43 PDT 2010

I suggested looking for the checklist that was used in the old USFS/BLM
Project 615.  That project is relatively old now, but evaluated the various
GIS systems available according to a checklist of functionality and tests.
It would make a great starting point if you can find it.

Craig

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 9:38 PM, Cameron Shorter
<cameron.shorter at gmail.com>wrote:

> Percy,
> Maybe you are remembering the email discussion titled:
> [OSGeo-Discuss] Will there be an OSGeo Desktop shootout at FOSS4G 2010? <
> http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/discuss/2009-December/006494.html>
>
> http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/discuss/2009-December/thread.html
>
> As a contribution to this thread, the LiveDVD project can contribute to
> this shootout, in that we have many of the desktops already packaged, along
> with 1 page descriptions of each project.
>
> And I'd love to include documentation or tables into the liveDVD which help
> users select between different applications.
>
> percy wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have any info on the desktop comparison (shootout/smackdown)
>> planned for FOSS4G-NA in Quebec next year?
>>
>> I'm sure I saw an announcement about this somewhere, but the google is
>> failing me :-)
>>
>> We are doing a similar event at our regional GIS in Action conference in
>> two weeks, and it would be great to see if there has already been a matrix
>> of capabilities established (cartography, analysis, etc) that we can use and
>> contribute to.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Percy
>>

> --