[OSGeo-Discuss] Raster catalog ideas

Mike Toews mwtoews at gmail.com
Mon May 3 13:11:56 PDT 2010

Hi All,

I'm wondering what existing open source options are available to store
rasters with attributes.

For example, I have several hundred air photos from northern Canada spanning
from the 1940s to now. They have different projections (UTM zones), cell
sizes, etc. This data store needs to be accessed from both web and desktop
GIS software, but needs to have a definition query for the "year" attribute
(so I can take all air photos from 1962, or between 1973 to 1978, or
whatever is required).

Our (my company) present solution is to use ESRI's raster catalog on a
geodatabase. We've had a mixed range of problems on File/Personal/SDE
Geodatabases. We've experienced corruption on all levels of storage options,
so we keep our file path attributes to the original GeoTIFFs so the raster
catalogs can be restored, if required.

I'm a bit lost for the available options. The future PostGIS with raster
capabilities sounds promising, but I need something that already exists. I
don't think a WMS service will work, since it cannot use a query definition
(e.g., I don't want to make layers for each year).

What are other people doing for large stores of air photos? Thanks in
advance.

-Mike