[OSGeo-Discuss] Raster catalog ideas [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Lucena, Ivan ivan.lucena at pmldnet.com
Tue May 4 14:50:58 PDT 2010

Hi Mike, Bruce,

We went to that discussion a couple of year ago, and by that time there was some strong opinion
against storing raster data on databases, but it look like time has changed things a little bit. Am
I right to say that? I can see basically three reasons for that.

1. Data volume.

Raster images are getting more and more accessible and whoever deals with big volume of those are
starting to feel the pain of managing it on files. I bet that people have started to think about why
spending so much money buying and maintaining huge Network Attached Storage (NAS) and end up making
a person do the job of a database server. They must realize that shared folders accessible by end
users is a problem not a solution. Yes, the systematical and disciplinary use of file based storage
is possible too, adding to that some sort of raster catalog, but adding to that also the trouble of
managing permission access on the NAS, backup procedures, temporary files management, and the result
is a full time position or two.

2. Performance.

The myth says: "the is always a overhead to access your raster data from a database in comparison to
accessing it directly from the file system". If you are talking about a single computer that might
be the case since fopen(), read(), write() doesn't need to make connections, check permission,
parse SQL statement to finally figure out where to read BLOBs with the same C functions. But as the
complexity of your storage grows the file based options will start to experience overhead too and
there will be not RDBMS server to do connection pooling or caching for you. Again, you can go to the
whole trouble of managing overviews and tile cache yourself. That means overhead for a file based
raster data server and more cost of maintaining it. Are we tied?

3. Examples

Satellite companies, data provider, government agency and consulting firms are giving good testimony
of their use of raster on database, so it might be true for the FOSS options too. The two examples
provided by Bruce are pretty good. Rasdaman only works with PostgreSQL while Terralib works with
directly with PostgreSQL, MySQL and commercial RDBMS systems. Both have some big projects to
showcase their muscles.

Please keep us posted.

Good luck.

Ivan