[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: postgis vs osx sleep

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sun May 9 08:35:11 PDT 2010

I've had Postgres on my MacBook for years, across 3 system versions, and I haven't had problems with mysterious waking.  As far as I know, no program should cause a Mac to wake unintentionally, it needs to set the wake timer (like for an alarm clock).

It looks like that cutedgesystems postgres issue is for a different problem: not automaticaly sleeping after idle.

Maybe it's somehow connected to the Energy Saver option to wake for ethernet admin access? (I keep that off)  That uses said wake timer to periodically wake a Mac so it can make sure others know it's avialable.

On May 9, 2010, at 2:38 AM, Jody Garnett wrote:

> I was unable to get the indicated installer working; will report back if I learn anything :-(
>
> On 09/05/2010, at 5:01 PM, Jody Garnett wrote:
>
>> I just tried cooking my laptop after working with postgis for a bit. After throwing it into a laptop bag I was surprised to find the bag chirp at me; after 30mins. Turns out postgres was keeping it running; and running in a confined space is not the best idea.
>>
>> After a bit of a cool down I found the following:
>> - http://cutedgesystems.com/weblog/index.php?entry=/Technology/PostgreSQLInstaller.txt
>>
>> Jody

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Mon Dieu! but they are all alike.  Cheating, murdering, lying, fighting, and all for things that the beasts of the jungle would not deign to possess - money to purchase the effeminate pleasures of weaklings.  And yet withal bound down by silly customs that make them slaves to their unhappy lot while firm in the belief that they be the lords of creation enjoying the only real pleasures of existence....

- the wisdom of Tarzan