[OSGeo-Discuss] Tools and approaches for the cartography of archaeological excavation sites

Agustin Diez Castillo adiez at uv.es
Fri Nov 5 03:42:11 PDT 2010

On Nov 5, 2010, at 11:05 AM, Mathieu Baudier wrote:

> - is it relevant to use "our" usual FOSS4G software (GRASS, QGIS,
> etc.) for such tasks? or do only CAD tools make sense?
As Chris pointed out FOSS4G make sense. He didn't mentioned gvSIG that to me is a good option (OADE has their own version of it).
> - do some of you have experience with sensors/methodologies which
> would provide centimeter order precision, be transportable and usable
> in remote areas and not too expensive?
It depends of what is expensive for you. A total station will help a lot on the field, Anna Kathrin Hodgkinson wrote a helping manual for it [2]

> - more generally, if somebody has experience with similar
> problematics, I'd be very interested in pointers to documentation,
> software, sensors...
Did I say gvSIG?
[1] http://www.openarchaeology.net/
Dr. Agustín Diez Castillo
Departament de Prehistòria i Arqueologia
Universitat de València    	Phone:   +34 963 98 38 93
Avda. Blasco Ibañez, 28  	 				Fax:       +34 963 98 38 87
València 46010
http://www.uv.es/sidgeipa