[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo Charter Member Nomination - About Me Astrid Emde

Astrid Emde astrid.emde at wheregroup.com
Mon Nov 8 14:09:38 PST 2010

Hello,

thanks for the Charter Member nomination. It would great to get more
involved in OSGeo as a Charter Member. I am already active in the OSGeo
and the german language local chapter FOSSGIS e.V.

The nominatin page [1] provides lot of information about me already. My
focus is on networking, marketing (OSGeo flyer, OSGeo-Live DVD, fairs),
education (talks, running workshops, setting up workshop material) and the
Mapbender project.

I work with lot of the projects of the OSGeo in my daily work and I use
them since a couple of years.

Anne Ghisla talked about the importance of people acting like nodes that
connect the different projects. I could be one of these nodes too. In my
workshops, activity at FOSSGIS e.V. and daily work I promote the OSGeo and
bring people closer to the idea of the foundation or even get them
involved. I can provide the contact to the end user of the OSGeo Stack and
give feedback from this side.

Maybe we will find out that 100 Charter Member are not enough for such an
active organization like the OSGeo and we won't be able to cover all the
aspects (Tribe, Project, Gender, Location, Academic/Industry/NGO x
Big/Small).
But we have all these great local chapters and committees where people can
get involved. It is exciting to see all these active people and the drive
OSGeo has. It is nice to be part of it and I would like to bring forward
the global mission and vision of OSGeo.

Astrid

[1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/New_Member_Nominations_2010