[OSGeo-Discuss] offline maps

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 05:08:16 PST 2010

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 5:58 AM, carlos sousa <springaleek at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello OSGEO enthusiasts
>
> I would like to create, starting from the point where hard disk space
> is not a problem, a repository of raster maps that can be accessible
> offline, when for exemple, we have to go to the field and do
> georeference tagging and mapping.
> When in the field, there is no broadband internet or it's limited to
> 2.5G communication which is very slow, even for the best OGC server
> available.

Assuming you have a laptop, why not just install whatever you want on
it and point your browser to http://localhost/mybigfatmaprepository/

I have MapServer, Apache, PostGIS/PostGres, Perl, PDL, OpenLayers,
jQuery and just about everything else installed on my 4.5 lbs MacBook.
I have a little snippet of code in my application so I can turn Google
Maps "on" or "off" as needed before I even launch my programs (I use
Google Maps terrain maps as a base layer). I even have the
documentation for all these programs installed in html form, heck,
even minicpan. No need for Internet at all. The only thing I can
continue to have is unlimited power, but as long as I can turn my
computer on, I can get to all my data. No Internet, no x.5G, no
problem.

Puneet Kishor http://www.punkish.org
Carbon Model http://carbonmodel.org