[OSGeo-Discuss] Fedora Geo/GIS Spin [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Bruce Bannerman B.Bannerman at bom.gov.au
Wed Nov 17 13:32:14 PST 2010

Do we really need two projects doing this work?

To my perhaps naive thinking, wouldn't the results of both projects be essentially the same?

Bruce

On 18/11/10 6:36 AM, "Cameron Shorter" <cameron.shorter at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Viji,
This sounds very interesting.

I suggest touch base with Mathieu from the Enterprise Linux packaging
efforts, who are packaging for redhat. I assume that between your two
projects there will be much that you can share.
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Enterprise_Linux_GIS

Also,
I've involved in the OSGeo-Live packaging effort, which has packaged 42
of the best geospatial open source applications on top of Ubuntu,
including all the OSGeo incubated projects.
Of particular interest would be our shell install scripts which you
should be able to copy in order to create your rpm installers, and also
the documentation which projects are creating for us which you will
likely be interested in copying too.
http://live.osgeo.org (for docs)
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc (our main wiki)
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Add_Project (provides links to our
build scripts)

Good luck, I'm interested to hear how things go.