[OSGeo-Discuss] Montreal Code Sprint 2011

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Tue Nov 23 07:53:13 PST 2010

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 11:48:21AM -0400, Connors, Bernie (SNB) wrote:
> If you are linking data to locations on a map it is a GIS.  One of the best descriptions of GIS I have heard is: "GIS is a two-way conversation between a map and a database" or something like that.
>
> Just because your software cannot not perform advanced analysis like GRASS or ESRI does not mean it is not a GIS.

Agreed. If you're doing analysis or evaluation of anything -- even if the
analyzer is a human being, not a piece of software -- by using a map as
a piece of the decision, then that's GIS. Anyone who insists that it's not
"GIS" unless it can do bilateral convex hull buffers is living in the past :)

-- Chris

> Bernie.
> --
> Bernie Connors, P.Eng