[OSGeo-Discuss] RE: Representing Places With Intelligent URLs

Michael P. Gerlek mpg at lizardtech.com
Tue Oct 5 17:03:14 PDT 2010

> ...it would be easy to determine what the URL for...

Alas, it is not clear to me that, even within the US, there is a universally recognized canonicalization of the place name hierarchy, much less the names themselves.

For example, you refer to "california", as opposed to "state_of_california", and yet you refer to "city of stockton" as opposed to "stockton".  Further, strictly speaking certain states actually commonwealths (and, similarly, counties are parishes).  And let's not talk about geographic entities that the post office recognizes but the local government does not.

The mind, alas, boggles.

(But maybe I'm reading more into your proposal than you meant, or I'm taking your example too literally?)

-mpg