[OSGeo-Discuss] Usage of 'FOSS4G' in webpages?

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Thu Oct 14 16:24:32 PDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 10:19:33AM +1100, Simon Cropper wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can someone please explain if the FOSS4G acronym can be used to identify 'free
> and open source geographical information systems/tools used to view, edit,
> manipulate and map geospatial data' and whether I can use it to help
> define/name some educational material I am creating?
>
> Something along the line of 'FOSS4G Handbook' or 'FOSS4G Guide'; or is the
> FOSS4G acronym now to intrinsically linked to OSGeo?

Socially speaking, I think that to anyone in the OSGeo community, it's
not only linked to "OSGeo", but actually to the conference itself;
a "FOSS4G Guide" would be a conference guide to me, not a software
guide.

I don't have technical information on trademark, etc. but I think that
it is really unlikely that using the term "FOSS4G" in the OSGeo space
would have the effect you're hoping for.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt
Web Developer