[OSGeo-Discuss] Usage of 'FOSS4G' in webpages?

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Fri Oct 15 05:50:59 PDT 2010

On 10-10-14 8:19 PM, Simon Cropper wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can someone please explain if the FOSS4G acronym can be used to identify 'free
> and open source geographical information systems/tools used to view, edit,
> manipulate and map geospatial data' and whether I can use it to help
> define/name some educational material I am creating?

Hi Simon,

Yes please do use the FOSS4G name.  Many local chapters around the world
are holding local FOSS4G events, which is just excellent news.

Credit for the FOSS4G name must go to the OSGeo Japan local chapter, who
have used the name for events around the world since 2004.  The chapter
recently donated the foss4g.org domain to OSGeo (thank you Venka and
Hayashi-san) for use with our wonderful FOSS4G event.

This brand is something that I am very proud of and am happy to see it
spread across the globe (through events or materials or whatever).

PS. I use the term on my own website as well, and I had it even in my
email signature at one point.

Have a nice weekend, and happy FOSS4G-ing :)

--
Jeff McKenna
http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/