[OSGeo-Discuss] Looking for Yum or RPM Site for GIS Suite for Centos 5.5

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Thu Sep 9 16:26:45 EDT 2010

Fawcett, David (MPCA) wrote:
> Micha Silver has a timely blog post:  http://www.surfaces.co.il/?p=782  (via Planet OSGeo)

Nothing like being in the right place at the right time. That article
answers questions I haven't even formed yet. This paragraph alone has
probably just saved me hours of frustration!

"The popular server platform, *CentOS*, can be nudged into service as a
GIS workstation, but since it’s a 4 year old OS, many of it’s base
packages (notably python is still at 2.4 on CentOS 5.5) are just too old
to be compatible with the newer desktop applications. By adding the
Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux _EPEL
<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/FAQ#howtouse>_ repo you can install
GRASS with a recent GDAL. PostGIS and Mapserver are also within an easy
“yum install” command. But don’t even bother trying QGIS. Bottom line:
CentOS 5 is the correct choice for a GIS database server, but for
desktop use, let’s wait for CentOS 6."

--

*Bill Thoen*
GISnet - www.gisnet.com <http://www.gisnet.com/>