[OSGeo-Discuss] Mentoring program @OSGeo[-women]

Anne Ghisla a.ghisla at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 07:57:32 EDT 2010

On Sun, 2010-09-12 at 11:04 +0200, Alan Palazzolo wrote:
> Chris, I think your point is extremely valid, and is important to be said.
>
> But I don't think this is the goal or direction of mentoring
> specifically for women.  Given that there are underrepresented
> peoples, like women, in OSGeo (or IT at large), supporting a
> mentorship program that is based on the idea that women can be the
> better mentor for women is important.
>
> As you admit, there are barriers for specific groups, though totally
> artificial and social, they are still there and need to be addressed.
> By allowing a group, women in this case, to support themselves more
> and offer their experiences to other women, it does actually help
> break those barriers.
>
> I think this sort of program is really important, and would apply to
> any underrepresented group, such as visually-impaired, Ethiopians,
> Chinese, LGBT, impoverished, etc.  It is about creating more
> meaningful mentor opportunities, not discriminating or distinguishing
> between specific groups.
>
> On the flip side, I do think it's a fine line.  This is definitely a
> concern when you start to look at what resources are allocated and
> what the mission of organizations are.  I think it important to create
> a mentorship program for everyone because there is always a need, even
> for those that are not underrepresented.  And so it is important that
> resources reflect the idea of mentoring and creating a better
> community, and not specifically a certain group.

Hi all,

the topic is delicate, as it involves deeply personal beliefs. Good to
see that it evolves smoothly :)

Well said, Chris. When I wrote the mail I feared that the impression
could be "let women help women and get rid of the guys' monopoly on the
scene". It's not the case, neither is the aim of D-W mentoring program,
that is open to male mentors as well.
What you said about feeling discriminated reinforces discrimination is
true when the scenario remains static. Let me add that the present
underrepresentation of women in OSGeo is not definitive, and the goal of
the first discussions on the topic is to raise awareness, express our
thoughts, maybe with wrong words. I'd be happy to see that the situation
is not as bad as in other fields, but I think that simply say that women
are not discriminated and let them show up when they want is expeditous.

Alan, I fully agree with your answer. I don't think that having the,
let's say, Greek chapter means discriminating against non-Greeks, and it
aliments the isolation of Greeks. OSGeo-women has been created as a
chapter, similar to local chapters. The final aim is to promote
participation of women in OSGeo and, as Chris said, get to a point where
we forget about the gender together with race/religion/etc..

That said, the mentoring program is not specific for women, so feel free
to use the idea wherever it can be useful.

cheers all, have a nice Sunday :)
Anne