[OSGeo-Discuss] FOSS4G2010: Good, Bad and the Ugly

Seven (aka Arnulf) seven at arnulf.us
Wed Sep 15 16:39:09 EDT 2010

On 09/15/2010 08:23 PM, strk wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 06:38:22PM +0900, Venkatesh Raghavan wrote:
>
>> g) Was not particularly amused by keynote speaker putting out
>>     his cap and a great guy running to the stage to put coins.
>
> Now _this_ is something I'd have loved to be there to see.
> @guy : how much did you raise ?
>
> --strk;
>
>    ()   Free GIS&  Flash consultant/developer
>    /\   http://strk.keybit.net/services.html

€ 6.50 which is quite a lot more than the common 2 Ct so I's say it was
a success.

Sorry if I offended anybody with this "performance". I acted on the spur
of the moment inspired by the performers on Rambla who only move if
somebody puts money in their hat. It was supposed to be a funny way of
showing how money makes the world go round and not intended to humiliate
anyone or depreciate volunteers' work.

At the Board of Director meeting we had a more serious dialog about this
topic. We hope to identify "products" that OSGeo might "sell" to
sponsors in order to get funding. Or extend our sponsorship program with
a paid membership for institutions who cannot sponsor. All of this must
not interfere with the business of OSGeo members and their companies and
neither will OSGeo allow paying members to meddle with the mission. This
reduces the potential number of "products" to "sell" considerably.
Constructive ideas are welcome. Or better even, more sponsors.

Have fun,
Arnulf

--
Exploring Space, Time and Mind