[OSGeo-Discuss] FOSS4G2010: Good, Bad and the Ugly

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu Sep 16 19:10:54 EDT 2010

On 09/16/2010 03:31 PM, heikki wrote:
> This thread is turning into mainly discussing the T-shirts etc.
>
> My 6½ euros :
>
> the T-shirt this year seemed to be of awful quality -- I'm quite sure you
> should never wear it or wash it, if you'd want the logo to remain (I did not
> buy it though, so I'm not talking from experience). I've preferred to spend
> double the amount, on a Barcelona tourist T-shirt with a print that looks to
> be much more durable.
>
> Then, some people received a FOSS4G-branded USB-memory-stick, but not all.
> As far as I can tell you received it if you were considered to represent a
> sponsor, and/or if you gave a presentation -- but not a tutorial. Now this
> 8GB USB stick was actually done quite nicely -- a small thingy with
> conference logo, the contents of the Live Floppy, and room to spare. Still
> -- how much does it cost to produce a thingy like that ? Not more than a few
> euros, I don't think. Could easily be included as a nice goodie just for
> everyone attending, I would think, compared to the conference fee. Actually
> useful and, as opposed to those DVDs, re-useable. No need to make a
> distinction between people who receive it, and who don't.
>
> Kind regards
> Heikki Doeleman

A note about the usb stick business. The organizing conference wanted to
do 100% usb sticks, but when we tested OSGeo Live on a usb stick we
found the failure rate (or incompatability rate) to be somewhat high and
clunky. So the conference committee opted to make reliable DVDs for all
and to experiment on the presenters who were thought to be more
tolerable if it didn't work right, not sure why those who ran tutorials
weren't part of that.

I'll get working on finding a company that would let us do reprints of
the usb stick for anyone who wants to order OSGeo Live on a stick.

Thanks for the input,
Alex