[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: Best GIS with below listed requirements

Noli Sicad nsicad at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 05:21:36 PDT 2010

What do you mean about "web based GIS"?

QGIS, gvSig, and uDig can act as client to Web Map Servers.

'QGIS, gvSig, and uDig are all open source desktop GIS's that can
connect to web services. uDig is currently the most advanced on that
front, connecting to WMS and WFS, as well as allowing editing through
WFS-T. gvSig has WMS, and should have WFS support in their next
release, and QGIS supposedly has partially implemented WMS. Each
offers various strengths and weaknesses. Our favorite is uDig, though
we're biased, since it's built on the same great GeoTools toolkit that
GeoServer  is."

http://geoserver.org/display/GEOSDOC/Clients

Noli