[OSGeo-Discuss] newbie question about Point in Polygon.

john mccarty mccarty.john1 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 04:16:13 PDT 2010

Hi All,

I have a table with geometries. I'm running a query to figure out if a given
point belongs to a pyligon or not. (The query some times can be slow...)
Now, I'm starting to use MapServer to draw the polygons of that table... and
with TileCache/MapProxy.... it is very fast... !

 So I am just wondering if there is any standard service that I could use to
perform the same query ....  so instead of running a SQL query on the
geometry table, I would use some kind of http request to MapServer/TileCache
to get (for example) the value of a pixel.....

does it make sense ?

any better standard way to do that ?

thanks