[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: Best GIS with below listed requirements

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Mon Sep 13 03:17:28 PDT 2010

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 10:09:45PM -0700, mayank_agarwal wrote:

> Thank you Everyone.
> And sorry for not being clear, actually i want a GIS which is web based as
> many clients would be acting on it at the same time, we being on server
> side, as a desktop GIS does not has this feature.
> So I would like for suggestions on that, Geomajas is a good option, but
> still open for suggestions.

In general, there are a couple things you can do.

 1. For a full WebGIS solution, it seems like Geomajas is the primary
    option.  It comes set up with GIS functionality out of the box, and
    many people seem to be using it this way successfully.
 2. If what you're most interested in is a UI for managing a bunch of
    GIS data, what you may be interested in may actually be something
    like Mapbender, which is a geospatial data portal.
 3. If you want to 'roll your own' -- for example, if you only need a
    limited set of functionality -- then OpenLayers+GeoExt+MapFish
    provide a set of reasonable tools to work with to create your own.
    There are a number of service providers -- like OpenGeo,
    Camptocamp -- who can provide development services support to help
    you implement a solution in this vein.

Another option that I know less about is GeoMoose. A third option I also
know less about is MapGuide's 'Fusion' toolkit. GeoMoose is generally
tied relatively closely to MapServer, I believe, though I could be wrong
on that. MapGuide Fusion is tied relatively closely to MapGuide; at one
point there was some work on extending it to also talk to MapServer,
though I don't know how far that went.

OpenGeo may also have some aspect of the GeoServer toolkit that fulfills
this need, but nothing comes to mind off the top of my head. I believe
something like OpenGeo's "GeoNode" is actually a 'competitor' of sorts
to something like Mapbender, a combination of catalog services and tools
to manage and browse them.

If I have misspoken about any of the projects described here, please let
me know.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt