[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: "git" like for geodata management

Noli Sicad nsicad at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 20:22:17 PDT 2010

PostgreSQL Synchronization Tool  --- psync [1]

" The article introduces a method of synchronizing two PostgreSQL
databases. Although, this seems to be an easy task, no product (slony,
londiste, ...) really satisfied the needs within the maps.bremen.de
project. Either they have special prerequsits that didn't apply for
our problem or they didn't support synchronizing of large objects.

Large objects are used to store tiles of a street/aerial map within
PostgreSQL. My GIS-server queries the database and gets the tiles out.
By using this construction we are getting a flexible infrastructure
for updating and maintaining different versions of the maps.

Everything was working fine until the service needs to be spread over
three servers. How can we easily synchronize the databases? I really
found no really working solution that is clean and easy to use.  "

[1]http://www.codeproject.com/KB/database/psync.aspx

Noli