[OSGeo-Discuss] Geopaparazzi released

Dan Putler dan.putler at sauder.ubc.ca
Sun Sep 26 20:59:45 PDT 2010

I'm more than a bit unclear as to what Alex is alluding to. Is it the
logo for the project, which seems to be a hybrid between a compass rose
and a transmitting tower (a natural combination given the project), or
is it the compass rose within a circle shown in this image of the OSM
menu: http://wiki.geopaparazzi.googlecode.com/hg/images/osm_menu1.png

If it is the project logo that is the concern, I'm really perplexed. The
compass roses shown in the image of the OSM menu screen are closer (but
not very close). Yes they are compass roses in a circle, but it is not
the same compass rose in a circle as the OSGeo logo (for a starter, it
is an eight point, not a four point compass rose). Moreover, graphics of
a compass rose within in circle (many used in company logos) are _very_
common (a Google image search on "compass rose" will reveal this).
Moreover, the two most natural logo elements for a geospatial project
are the earth and a compass rose. Given that the ESRI logo involves an
image of the earth, does this mean that PostGIS needs to remove the
earth part of the earth balanced at the end of the elephants trunk (to
say nothing of the GDAL/OGR logo)? Moreover, isn't the elephant the logo
of the PostgreSQL project and the symbol of the US Republican Party, so
shouldn't the PostGIS project's logo also shed the elephant as well?
Somehow, I just don't think so.

Yes logos and other visual identity media need to be protected, however,
the graphics used by the geopaparazzi project just don't fall into that
category in my opinion.

Dan

Hi Alex,