[OSGeo-Discuss] Does osgeo provide infrastructure for non-incubating projects?

Fernando González fergonco at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 01:13:44 PDT 2011

Thanks both for your answers and sorry for the delay (I've been traveling).

Steve, sorry, I think I haven't expressed myself clear at all. I'm
interested in osgeo as organization but I'm afraid the project is not
mature enough to enter incubation. I think I could find free hosting
easily, but I wouldn't like to migrate some time later again.

Frank, I've read Project Evaluation Criteria and, in my opinion, we
are able to fulfill all the requirements in short term except of
substantial user/developer community. Recently, some organizations got
interested in helping to develop the project which *could* solve the
problem of communities.

I can only foresee two problems. First, I don't know if osgeo may be
interested in a GIS specific language even if it ever matches the
requirements. Second, for its very nature, I don't think it is
possible to create a big developer community because the used
technologies are not easy to learn, but I hope I'm wrong.

If these problems are not such, we would be *very grateful* to use an
osgeo mailing list. We could keep the paid infrastructure while the
project evolves and it becomes clear if it can enter incubation or
not.

Hope I've been clear enough. I find it difficult to explain the
problem so don't hesitate to ask for anything you don't understand.

Best regards.