[OSGeo-Discuss] Hello everybody

Daniel Ames dan.ames at isu.edu
Thu Apr 21 11:06:19 PDT 2011

Carsten, with your background in VB and interest in C#, you should also
consider joining the dotnet at lists.osgeo.org mailing list and check out our
projects including DotSpatial, SharpMap and others (search "gis" on
codeplex.com and go to town). - Dan

- Dan
--------
Daniel P. Ames Ph.D.
Idaho State University Dept. of Geosciences
dan.ames at isu.edu
--------
Sent from my Droid
On Apr 20, 2011 2:21 PM, "Carsten Troelsgaard" <troelsgaard53c at live.dk>
wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Alas I found a group that share my interests. It feels like I've been a
long time under way.
> I found you through TifLib. I've been looking for useful information about
how to access data in geoTiff, and there it was.

> I have a general interest in 'visualisation'. That would mean anything
from doing small drawing programs to 'fast and furious' 3d-graphics showing
georeferenced data. I am an amateur programmer, with emphasis on amateur and
in the low Visual Basic (VB) league as such .. that doesn't prevent me from
having a good time or creating something usefull. I started doing VB 20
years ago in the MS Office Excel attachment and is currently using a free
version of Visual Studio 2010. The net.framework that spans the gab between
coding-languages makes it difficult to take the final jump and become a
'real' programmer (in C# or C++).

> I'm well educated, in part as a ceramican, in part as a sedimentary
geologist - and very unimployed. Don't acuse me for abusing an easy-to-use
educational system 'cos I would not be able to defend myself. I succeeded in
getting some 'fast and furious' graphics up and running a good year ago. It
was a new and encouraging experience to get hold of USGS DEM-data and
achually watch it in the program. Getting the higher resolution of the
public aster-data has become a natural target, but getting to watch fast and
furious DEM in the first place sort'a overextended my abilities. Getting to
understand Tiff/geoTiff and how to approach it programmatically has become a
priority.

> ... so, I'll be lurking to see if I can get a gist of where how and what
>
> Kindly
> Carsten Troelsgaard
>
> ps. I have a net-provider account that runs for short periods at a time,
so I may abrubtly vanish from discussions from time to time.