[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: [Gvsig_english] New site demonstrating the use of Free & Open Source Software

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 18:28:19 PDT 2011

> I have visited a lot of tutorial sites and left just as perplexed about how
> to get the program to work as I was when I started.

Indeed :-)

I am happy to include any tutorials as long as they have the appropriate
> licenses for all content used. A lot of the OSGeo tutorials have dubious
> licenses -- in an audit last year that I undertook a lot of material ...
> 1. had unclear copyright notice for the text
> 2. included images of data of unclear copyright status, and
> 3. pointed to material suitable for use to practice that had unclear
> copyright status and in some cases clearly stated the data could not be
> used for the purposes proposed.

You should find that the committees mentioned are aware of these issues. In
particular the osgeo live project is standardising on the use of the natural
earth
dataset in order to be above board.

I have went through many painful months securing typical high resolution
> CC-BY-SA data and preparing my tutorials based on this information.
> Readers can download this geospatial data and repeat the tutorial using
> the 'exact' same files as used in the tutorial - totally above board and
> legal. Everything is on the website. No third party is involved.
>
> > You are of course welcome to the uDig walkthrough1, GeoServer Install,
> and
> > walkthrough 2 tutorials.
>
> Thanks. I will see if I can adapt these to the datasets mentioned above
> so as to keep with the theme. Obviously I will attribute the source
> where this is appropriate.

If it helps; for the next release of uDig I was going to switch to the
natural earth dataset
in order to better fit with OSGeo live; and be more generally interesting
for a world wide audience. I can let you know when that is available which
may serve as a nicer starting place?

It is also good in that the dataset is available in a range of sizes; to
better fit within
space limits on a DVD; or people's download budget (for those of us in
countries that
are pay to play).

> > I find it interesting you went with pure html; rather than open office
> > (udig), or sphinx (osgeo live, geosever, mapserver, geotools, etc...).
>
> I spent quite alot of time trialing various systems. I published a few
> tutorials on the topic and many lengthy emails to various lists about
> options that resulted in many lengthy debates.

Try to do that with a collection of OO or LO Writer Files or a PDF file.

:-) I agree it is a nightmare of a problem; thanks for explaining your
reasons for going with html.

>From my standpoint it is annoying having any number of projects asking for
content to be written; and no procedures in place to easily accept the
content that is available.

The first project that sits down and defines how submit word, pdf, html,
rst, odf etc... (with manual steps if needed) will have a much greater
chance of success. Perhaps that project will be yours?

The rational is this - the shoe is on the wrong foot. Open source projects
are not looking for an opportunity to spread their resources thinner.  We
are looking for volunteers to spread the work that has been done further
adding value as they go.

Jody