[Live-demo] Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Re: [Gvsig_english] New site demonstrating the use of Free & Open Source Software

Simon Cropper scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au
Fri Apr 29 17:55:52 PDT 2011

On 30/04/11 08:47, Hamish wrote:
> you're in luck, for some years the North Carolina dataset has
> been collected and made available by and for OSGeo projects
> exactly for this purpose. I believe the main contact/coordination
> for that is Helena and Markus via thegeodata at lists.osgeo  mailing
> list. GRASS already uses the grass-ified version in its tutorials
> and ships+uses that on the OSGeo Live DVD, see
>    http://www.grassbook.org/data_menu3rd.php

Hamish,

My comment "we now have some data" was aimed from one Australian to
another Australian.

I was aware of the North Carolina datasets when I ran my pilot. They are
an excellent resource.

Personally however, they did not reflect the type of vector or raster
data typically available in Australia and I was interested in getting
local datasets in local CRS rather than one for the northern hemisphere.
For example, it is impossible to demostrate transformations from AGD66
to GDA94 using the North Carolina datasets.

My hidden agenda is to demonstrate that "my typical work" can be
completed from start to finish using fosGIS. It is hard to discuss the
nuances of datasets you don't usually use.

But lets face it, diversity is great, people now have a variety of
resources to practice on. I have no problem with using the NC dataset in
my tutorials, and will when the tasks being demonstrated call for data I
currently don't have access.

--
Cheers Simon

    Simon Cropper