[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: [Live-demo] Has anyone written a "How do youXXX with Open Source GIS?"

Bob Basques Bob.Basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Thu Feb 3 11:21:11 EST 2011

All,

Could an expanded version of something like this comparison work: http://geotux.tuxfamily.org/index.php?option=com_myblog&task=view&id=257&Itemid=59&lang=en  I really like this comparison, and the fact that there are many versions available, each with added content, makes the whole process that much more valuable over time.

If so, is there marketing fund available for building an expanded version.  Germain may be interested in something like this.  May also have a good bead on what interested parties are looking for in a Geoproduct.

This type of question/answer packet seems like a good fit for a promotional piece of OSGEO propoganda materials, and could be regularly upgraded.   Germain for example already has a third (v5) english version on the side lines waiting to be converted to english.   This type of product with the right additions seems like it might satisfy a large part of the question "what tool for what purpose?".

bobb

>>> Tyler Erickson <tylerickson at gmail.com> wrote:

I don't think a FAQ needs to point to one "single best tool". As Frank noted in his examples, the answer could be a list of tools if more than one provides the capability. Answers that include links to a description of the capability (and/or examples of usage) in the project documentation would be especially helpful.

- TylerE

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 1:07 AM, Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com> wrote:

Jody:

> This request comes up yearly; and was
> one of the ideas for content for the osgeo website. The
> difficulty is finding resources to produce the content.
>
> The trouble is just because a request is common, and makes
> perfect sense from a marketing open source geospatial point
> of view, does not imply the foundation has the marketing
> muscle to get it done.

as noted in the original thread on the live-demo ML, much of the OSGeo software is somewhat interchangeable, especially for common desktop GIS tasks. Asking the collective authors/representatives of all OSGeo projects which is the best single tool to get the job done is not likely to converge on a single answer that doesn't leave at least one or two projects feeling a bit ignored.

this may be frustrating & overwhelming to the new recruit, but the only honest answer I could give to it is "explore the Live DVD and find something that fits you well".

what's the best FOSS tool to edit a text file?
debian$ apt-cache search editor | wc -l
603

... "it depends", take your pick :-/

solutions welcome,