[OSGeo-Discuss] How does GeoNetwork generate UUIDs?

heikki tropicano at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 05:48:03 EST 2011

hi John,

please use the GeoNetwork Users list for questions on GeoNetwork :

When creating a new metadata in GeoNetwork a UUID is automatically created
for it; when importing a metadata you can choose whether it does nothing
related to UUIDs (this could cause a clash if another metadata with the same
already exists, the import fails then), whether it assigns a new UUID to it,
or whether it overwrites an existing metadata with the same UUID in case it
already exists.

UUIDs are generated using
http://download.oracle.com/javase/1.5.0/docs/api/java/util/UUID.html#randomUUID()
.