[OSGeo-Discuss] Patent litigation for store location mapping

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Thu Feb 24 14:54:10 EST 2011

It seems that a new wave of web mapping patent lawsuits was started a
few months ago, this time around the concept of "store location
mapping"... more about this here:

http://apb.directionsmag.com/entry/patent-infringement-alleged-in-new-law-suit-for-store-location-mapping/163840

While the claims described in the patent don't seem to match
current/modern techniques used for store location mapping, there are
apparently ~300 companies who have to defend themselves against it, so
any information you might have, or examples of prior art could be useful
to them.

A little while ago, we had started a Wiki page to compile information
about another Web Mapping Patent, and I just reorganized it to handle
this new one, a.k.a the "474" patent:

   http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Web_Mapping_Patents

If anyone has useful information to help fight potential lawsuits
against this patent, or examples of prior art, then please send it
along, or add it directly to the wiki page above.

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/