[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: [Live-demo] Has anyone written a "How do you XXX with Open Source GIS?"

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Wed Feb 2 06:15:22 PST 2011

On 2/2/2011 5:14 AM, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> Below, Frank has done a great job asking the exact sort of question that
> new GIS users ask, and which we as an OSGeo community should address to
> attract new users.

I think that it would be helpful to identify gaps also, for two reasons:

1. if someone is planning to migrate from say ArcMap to OSS, know the
pain points and gaps will make it easy fro them to decide if their use
case makes sense of not to convert now or not. Knowing what to expect up
front lets them plan better and design new processes to work around
those issues.

2. if we as a community have a clear idea of the gaps and pain points
then it gives us a check list if high value projects that we might want
to work into our projects. While I suspect most projects maintain some
kind of wish list, I do not think there is a high level document like
this FAQ that covers this. Maybe it is as simple as creating additional
entries like "How to you XXX with Open Source GIS?" which identify gaps
and pain points also.

I think we are all about transparency, and this would help, IMHO.

ATB,
   -Steve W