[OSGeo-Discuss] Creating *.shp.xml files with open source tools

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Fri Feb 18 11:36:08 PST 2011

I created an experimental plugin for QGIS to deal with Metadata xml
records. We never got the creation part finished, but there should be
template xml files for FGDC, ISO and some other standards (USGS and all
US agencies follow FGDC, and now the FGDC variant of a new ISO format).
Though FGDC only finished their variant of the ISO last year so it has
not been included yet.

There are a few other tools out their: CatMDEdit
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimed/ was also announced a few months
back with support for INSPIRE
Geonetwork can also be used to edit the same info, I just can't remember
if it makes an xml you can download to pack with your file.

I think there's at least one other QGIS component in the works but I
don't know the ETA on it.

Thanks,
Alex