[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: Discuss Digest, Vol 49, Issue 2

Ragi Burhum ragi at burhum.com
Wed Jan 5 09:56:36 PST 2011

> Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 15:52:00 -0800
> From: "Landon Blake" <lblake at ksninc.com>
> Subject: [OSGeo-Discuss] Creating Value from Raster Data
> To: "OSGeo Discussions" <discuss at lists.osgeo.org>
>
> I'm working on a magazine article for ACSM Bulliten entitled "Creating
> Value From Raster Data". The target audience will be land surveyors. I
> was hoping some of the OSGeo guys would be able to help me with a few
> questions as I do my research for the article:
>

> -          Are there any open source alternatives to automated feature
> creation from raster data, such as is possible with ENVI
> (http://www.ittvis.com/ProductServices/ENVI.aspx) ?
>
> -          Does anyone know of research or work being done with the
> development of open source algorithms and programming libraries to
> enable automated feature creation from raster data?
>
> -          Can you think of ways to create value from raster data other
> than extraction of vector features?
>

> Thanks for any suggestions and information.
>

> Landon

Other people already gave you great suggestions, so I am not repeat them. As
far as research goes, there is plenty being done right now. Search for
Support Vector Machines (SVM) and Image Classification papers. OpenSource
projects that are great at this are OpenCV and libSVM among many others...

- Ragi