[OSGeo-Discuss] Mozilla Webcraft & P2PU OpenLayers Course

Nicholas Doiron ndoiron at mapmeld.com
Mon Jan 10 21:49:38 PST 2011

As part of Mozilla's Drumbeat initiative, P2PU will be hosting free
volunteer-run courses on open web technologies.
About: http://www.drumbeat.org/webcraft/about
Course list: http://p2pu.org/webcraft/course/find

I am running a beginner-level "Online Maps with OpenLayers" course, covering
OpenStreetMap and basics of OpenLayers.  Participants' final project is
researching a real-world application of geospatial technology and designing
their own map for their Interest Project.  Hopefully the course will produce
a good number of starter examples, answer newbie questions, and help
non-technical people turn their JPG maps such as http://3rain.org/maps.php into
informative and visually-appealing web maps.

The course page is http://p2pu.org/webcraft/online-maps-openlayers and I
would appreciate input on topics for this course, something beyond the
existing Examples page.
I have made OpenLayers maps before, some for Ushahidi and a city water
department, but I would also appreciate if an expert could volunteer to help
if we're unable to get something working.

Regards,
Nick Doiron
Civil Engineering Class of 2012
Carnegie Mellon University