[OSGeo-Discuss] Iteration and supercomputing with GRASS GIS

Johannes Radinger JRadinger at gmx.at
Fri Jan 14 03:34:11 PST 2011

Hello,

I am very new to GRASS GIS!
At the moment I am working with ArcGIS10 to develop a dispersal model
(raster based) which
involves single calculations for each raster cell (around 20 000
calculations) conducted by an iteration process over the cells of the
input raster.
As this takes quite long, a change to a Linux based software and  the
use of a supercomputer (mulitcore) is considered. Therefore especially
GRASS GIS sounds interesting to me for the soltution.

How are iterations (like in the ArcGIS10 modelbuilder) solved in GRASS
GIS? Is that possible?
Is it possible to perform the single calculation in parallel mode and
use a multicore Linux supercomputer e.g.?
Does anyone have experience with such approaches?

Thank you very much.

/j