[OSGeo-Discuss] Geomajas Geometry Project

Pieter De Graef piedere at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 04:36:10 EDT 2011

Hi everyone,

for the Geomajas project, we are looking into separating the Geometry
functionality into an independent project. In other words, I am talking
about a Geometry project for the Web. This code would be written in Java for
GWT and thus be available on Java backends as well as client environments
(we intend to add a JavaScript wrapper around the GWT code).

Now the problem that I'm facing here, is which model to follow....

On one hand there is the Simple Feature Specification which is clearly an
Object Oriented model with the advantage that it is well known but is also
more difficult to implement the JavaScript wrapper around.

On the other hand we could follow a service based model (more like SFS for
SQL) which is easier to get up and running, easier to create a JavaScript
wrapper for and easier to translate into web services.

As it's difficult for us to chose and as it's a pretty crucial decision for
the future of the Geomajas project, I as wondering how you guys feel about
this.

Kind regards,

Pieter De Graef