[OSGeo-Discuss] Training and certification

Chaitanya kumar CH chaitanya.ch at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 02:00:34 EDT 2011

Hi Tyler,

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 1:08 AM, Tyler Mitchell <tmitchell at osgeo.org> wrote:

> 1. To lead training courses that may also come with a certificate or be
> part of a larger program. (e.g. for users, developers, integrators to gain
> personal knowledge and show it off, maybe in a GISP style?)

This was what I thought the certification program meant. This should be
something more than a few hours of workshop like in FOSS4G. Something enough
for the candidate to say that he can handle certain type of work at a job
interview.

I think a certificate program should be conducted first. This would be
cheaper for professionals with student loans to pay.
Training, on the other hand, has been user oriented until now. Workshops
have been according to end user requirements. A full fledged training can be
implemented based on how the certificate program goes.

2. To give an organisation a stamp of approval, that their skills or staff
> meet some standard

There are already groups who's main work is providing training in OSGIS
software. Like Ezra says, they can certainly use these credentials. This can
be implemented pretty much the same as above.

3. To technically certify a product or application -  (e.g. as a sort of
> endorsement that the technology meets some OSGeo standard)

I don't understand this. The following standards come to mind: Does the
product output OGC compliant data? Uses compatible versions and licenses?

--
Best regards,
Chaitanya kumar CH.