[OSGeo-Discuss] Liberal licensing of Project Overviews in LiveDVD, do we want this?

Simon Cropper scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au
Wed Jun 29 20:29:15 EDT 2011

Hi Guys,

Cameron has just posted the new licensing details for the LiveDVD.

I presume if you actually opened my post that you may be concerned with
how Project Overviews may be used.

If you have any opinions on this matter PLEASE speak up -- don't just
sit in the background as *Cameron will take the lack of any responses as
an implicit YES to his proposal*.

Personally I have a problem with Project Overviews, or any technical
documentation for that matter, being locked up in
Commercial-in-Confidence derivatives. I think Project Overviews, which
can be legitimately be included 'as is' in a proposal or design
document, shouldn't need to be reworked. To me the reworked document,
which needs to include your name as original author, implies some sort
of collaboration has occurred when none has occurred. Yes, reworked
documents do look better but contribute nothing the the broader
CC/FOSS/OSGeo community.

But this is my opinion. If you have one - for or against - *especially
those people that have authored the Project Overviews*, SPEAK UP!

--
Cheers Simon

    Simon Cropper
    Principal Consultant