[OSGeo-Discuss] Are there proposed ways to raise funds for OSGeo projects?

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Fri Jun 3 04:40:18 PDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 11:55 AM, Duarte Carreira <DCarreira at edia.pt> wrote:
> Have there been any discussions about ways of raising funds for projects
> under the OSGeo umbrella?
>
> For instance, annual fund raising campaigns like Wikipedia does? Or
> letters/emails asking for donations to known “significant” users as
> associations sometimes do? Or using sites specialized in linking users
> requests to developers? I suppose this is to be done by each project
> individually…

A relevant group are the institutional sponsors (companies, agencies and
so on). To better address the small donations I once started
  http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Microdonations
which is based on ideas from Paolo Cavallini. Recently it has been picked
up again.

Several OSGeo projects have their own donation page (see above WIki
page) but for sure more could be done.

Markus

--
http://gis.cri.fmach.it/neteler/