On Openness (was: Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] workshop on "Open Government: Open Data, Open Source and Open Standards")

Seven (aka Arnulf) seven at arnulf.us
Wed Mar 16 05:06:39 EDT 2011

Puneet,
thanks for posting this.

All,
this is perfect timing to further our own understanding on openness. We
are working on this from several ends and as we do, notice that there
are many different takes on openness. There are for example noticeable
differences in how the OGC uses the term openness when it comes to
standards development. But they are not wrong in how they use it, just
different. The same applies to OpenStreetMap who also have a broad
understanding of what they mean with Openness. Even the public
administration starts to develop and understanding of what openness
could mean. This again proves that truth, just like time are relative.

For a very short definition check this OSGeo page:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/The_definition_of_Open_in_OGC,_OSGeo_and_OSM

In order to better communicate which aspect of openness OSGeo promotes
and how it relates to OGC activities the OGC has asked us whether we
would be interested to produce a joint white paper. We discussed this at
a board of directors meeting last year but never finished this because
it is quite an involved topic. At the last meeting we decided that it
makes sense to involve the whole community in defining what this is. To
this effect we have created a Wiki page with a first shot at this White
Paper. It also contains the take that the OGC has developed around
openness and how this relates to us. The page is available here:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Talk:Open_Source_and_Open_Standards

Please go to this page and hack it. Write whatever you think is relevant
from our point of view. We should not change the OGC's definition, even
if we feel that it is not complete or differs from our understanding.
The idea is to allow for different takes. Diversity makes the world go
round. It would be great if we could come up with a comprehensive paper
that we can publish together with the OGC. It will always be a
compromise but it will show that we have matured as an organization to a
level where we can interact strategically.

Apart from this please also feel free to maintain our own definition of
Openness which has been defined here:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Openness

If my presentation for FOSS4G gets accepted this might also become a
presentation which we can give at SOTM, FOSS4G and the Denver OGC TC
Meeting.

Have fun,
Arnulf

Exploring Space, Time and Mind