[OSGeo-Discuss] Finding position based on horizon profile?

Michael P. Gerlek mpg at flaxen.com
Mon Mar 28 16:48:48 EDT 2011

Consider the following hypothetical problem:

Assume we have a good elevation data set for a large region of the earth --
say, an entire mountain range.  Now let's say we have a photograph taken
from the ground, the horizon of which shows the profile of a couple of the
mountains in that range.  Can you tell me where the photograph was taken
from?

Any pointers to research in this area would be appreciated.

-mpg