[OSGeo-Discuss] Correct List for Newcomers

Bob Kerstetter bob at villagehiker.com
Mon Mar 28 20:43:01 EDT 2011

Hello,

Is this the correct list for asking newbie questions?

For example, I am using the decklogs from a 1940s US Navy cruiser to trace its journey's from 1942 through 1945. I know how to enter coordinates, draw lines and load maps, but where do I obtain a specific map? I need one covering the entire Pacific Ocean as it was defined during that era. I would like the map to show the Pacific and all of its islands, including small areas such as Yap and Ulithe, for example. I would also like to have a layer showing the geographic structures on the Pacific floor, such as the IBM arc. Do resources such as these exist, or do I need to create my own? I have searched the Web for answers but really don't know enough to enter search criteria correctly.

If this is not the correct list, please excuse me.

Thank you.

Bob
http://villagehiker.com